Wednesday, August 30, 2017

lonelygirl15

History: Lonely Girl 15 started in 2006 by a girl named Bree. One of her earliest videos called "dorkiness prevails" was just her talking about how bored she is and how she is starting this new video blog. Throughout the web videos she introduces a friend and things about her home life, for example how she is homeschooled. According to a source I found on the internet, Bree was not an actual girl, but an actress. Not only an actress, but an actress that had a small team of writers telling her what to say. Lonely Girl was created by three people. The NY Times and other media groups wrote about Lonely Girl 15 as if she was a an actual girl that they were interested in. Turns out that Lonely Girl 15 ended up being youtube's earliest web series, which through its viewers and the media for a loop!

My thoughts and comments: When I first watched dorkiness prevails I really did not see the point of the video. I just saw a girl named Bree who seemed really bored and wanted to play around with a webcam. However, the more videos she posted and once she started introducing a friend I could kind of see how people could be more interested (especially since this was in 2006, before everyone was trying to become "youtube famous"). I typed in lonely girl 15 on google and The Guardian came up with a history of Bree. After reading this and realizing that Bree was an actress I was so interested and shocked at the same time. It was interesting that youtube thought to do this and it ended up working because the videos were going viral. I was so shocked because I could not get over how good of an actress "Bree" was because on camera she seemed very awkward!




1 comment:

  1. These people were onto something! They knew people would get sucked into an online series. I think that is interesting to see how people followed this girl, not realizing it was a written web show.

    ReplyDelete

Field House VR Tour

Suz and I worked on this practice VR tour together. We went to the field house and took 360 pictures of areas we were familiar with.