Monday, September 4, 2017

Is Google Making us Stupid?

Is google making us stupid? A great question/topic addressed by Nicholas Carr. This article talked about how the internet is changing the way our brains think. Carr says "over the past few years I’ve had an uncomfortable sense that someone, or something, has been tinkering with my brain, remapping the neural circuitry, reprogramming the memory." Carr explains how this is because of the internet. An interesting thing he points out is that in todays age of the internet everyone wants to just skim past an article and no one wants to read a lengthly article anymore. We just want to surf the internet skimming through articles not taking time. Carr makes another interesting point that the New York Times even has a page dedicated to abstracts because they realize that people want to multitask and read things quickly. The line in the article that sticks out most to me is when Carr says " once I was a scuba diver in a sea of words, now I zip along the surface like a guy on a jet ski." I think we can all relate to this saying because when you are sitting down reading a book you are engulfed with the words on the page and in your own world, where as on the internet our eyes just skim through the page. He then talks about how in todays age we do read more than the average person did in the past, but it is just a new kind of reading, and we read it in a different way. I thought it was really interesting when Carr talked about Freidrich Neitzche, how his eyes were slowly dwindling and he bought a type writer to help him continue writing, but the machine was altering his work and his thoughts- similar to how the computer and internet can alter ours. This article was really interesting and kept my attention throughout. I liked how towards the end Carr talks about the creators of Google and how eventually they want the search engine to be smarter than people. He also touches on the subject of artificial intelligence and how when we log onto Google we are in "Google's"world and our brains need to be rewired.
This article really opens up the readers eyes to how powerful the internet is, and how it has already effected people. Before reading this I never really thought about how I can find myself skimming an article online, or getting distracted by adds, whereas now I can defiantly see how the internet has groomed us into being this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Field House VR Tour

Suz and I worked on this practice VR tour together. We went to the field house and took 360 pictures of areas we were familiar with.